Are you getting ready to plan some trips away with your sweetheart soon? If so, you should take a look at this pick of 13 of the best city breaks for couples in Europe!
From the epitome of romance in cities like Paris and Verona to naughty cities like Amsterdam and the many natural beauties provided by Reykjavik and Funchal, this list of top couples city breaks is sure to get your heart racing on where you should take your other half.
13 of the Best City Breaks for Couples in Europe
1. Paris, France
Why is a Paris city break perfect for couples?
This chic French capital is the very essence of romance.
Most commonly known as the “City of Lights”, but also frequently referred to as the “City of Love”, how could Paris not top a romantic destinations hotlist?
The simple act of walking along the River Seine, holding hands with your beau is enough to warm anyone’s heart.
In the summer months, you can picnic together by the riverside. Whilst in winter, you can keep each other warm over hot chocolates (or chocolats chauds) in a pretty Parisian cafe.
Although this may sound a little cliche, what could be more romantic than watching the Eiffel Tower sparkle at night with its free light show?
Alternatively, take a wander up to Parc des Buttes Chaumont for a romantic walk in the park, followed by fantastic views across the city. Why not team these views with a stunning sunset?
Romantic Hotels in Paris:
For the epitome of romance in Paris, be sure to check out these hotels:
- Castille Paris – Starhotels Collezione: 5-star luxury hotel near Paris Olympia | Check Prices
- Saint James Paris: 4-star spa hotel near Palais Royal | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Paris:
- Wondering how long your Paris city break should be? We think three or four days is long enough to see the top highlights. Read our Paris itinerary for inspiration.
- Fancy a winter city break to Paris? Here’s everything you need to know about what to do and where to stay.
- Would you prefer to explore Paris like a local? Check out these insider tips!
- Are you planning on visiting Disneyland Paris while you’re here? Check out our couples guide to Disneyland Paris for some tips.
- Finally, for all our top tips on using the Paris Metro: Check out this detailed blog post.
2. Bruges, Belgium
Why is a Bruges city break perfect for couples?
There’s a reason why Bruges is one of Belgium’s most popular cities.
Full of medieval buildings, quaint canals and cobblestone streets, Bruges is the ultimate fairytale city brought to life.
It’s also a very walkable city allowing you to see most of the top highlights in just one or two days on foot.
Throw out the guidebook during your Bruges city break and just have fun getting lost in the little streets together. Be sure to stop for some of the best chocolates in Bruges en route.
If you’re heading out on a winter city break to Bruges then be sure to stop off for a hot chocolate at The Old Chocolate House.
This popular little tea room boasts that it’s “THE PLACE TO BE TO DRINK THE BEST HOT CHOCOLATE”. And they’re probably right.
What makes this hot chocolate so special is that you’re served hot milk, alongside a tray of chocolate chips and buttons, so you can make your own hot chocolate, exactly to your tastes with real chocolate. The results? Pure chocolate heaven in a mug!
Also, don’t forget to take a wander through Minnewater. It’s home to a beautiful park as well as a self-professed ‘Lake of Love’ and ‘Lovers Bridge’.
The story goes that a young girl called Minna was in love with a warrior of a neighbouring tribe, Stromberg. Her father didn’t agree with the love match so arranged for Minna to marry someone else. She escaped into the forest and when she was eventually found by Stromberg, she passed away in his arms.
While this might be an unrequited love story, Minnewater is now a popular place for couples to come for kisses and cuddles as they make the most of what they have together.
Romantic Hotels in Bruges:
For a magical fairytale stay in Bruges, be sure to check out these hotels:
- Dukes’ Palace Bruges: Luxury 5-star hotel near Grote Markt | Check Prices
- Hotel Navarra Bruges: 4-star hotel with an indoor pool near Grote Market | Check Prices
- Hotel Aragon: Charming 4-star hotel near Grote Markt | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Bruges:
- Wondering how long your city break to Bruges should be? We feel one or two days is enough time for you to see the highlights before moving on to other Belgian cities. Check out our one day Bruges itinerary for some ideas.
- Visiting Bruges in winter? Here’s everything you need to know.
- Would you love to know where all the best chocolate shops in Bruges are? Check out this chocolate walking tour!
- Want to come home with all the best Belgian souvenirs? Here’s what you should buy!
- Fancy combining a trip to Bruges with other Belgian cities? Here’s how to do it!
3. Vienna, Austria
Why is a Vienna city break perfect for couples?
Vienna, Austria’s capital is the epitome of stunning architecture and is perfect for the history-loving, architecture-admiring, fairytale-loving couples among you.
Everywhere you look, the incredible baroque and neoclassical architecture will be gazing down at you, making your mind wander off to fairytales, castles and magical kingdoms.
From wandering through unique museums to admiring architecture and walking through palace gardens, there are lots of interesting conversation starters on offer here.
Therefore, a couples trip to Vienna is likely to result in daydreams, intense conversations and plenty of learning about your other half.
Schloss Schonbrunn on the outskirts of Vienna is a perfect escape and day out for couples.
The palace itself is interesting to admire and learn about, but the gardens are the most magical part.
There’s the Gloriette, which offers excellent views across the city’s skyline. Who can resist a cute selfie from up here?
Also, the palace’s garden has its own zoo – a perfect date idea – as well as a series of mazes and apparatus for you to play with and act like big kids on. After all, couples that play together, stay together!
Romantic Hotels in Vienna:
For a luxuriously traditional stay in Vienna, take a look at these classic hotels:
- Hotel Sacher Wien: Luxury 5-star hotel with spa near Albertina | Check Prices
- Der Wilhemshof: Modern 4-star hotel near Reisanrad | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Vienna:
- Wondering how much time you need for a Vienna city break? We think three or four days is long enough to see the top highlights. Read our Vienna itinerary for inspiration.
- Fancy a foodie trip to Austria? These are the foods you simply must eat when in Vienna!
4. Verona, Italy
Why is a Verona city break perfect for couples?
Given Verona’s connection to one of the greatest love stories of all time, this Italian province has to surely be the start of love and romance in city breaks.
As the birthplace of Shakespeare’s Juliet, the concept of romance is now routed into every brick in this city.
You’ll often see wedding couples parading the streets for their photographers, which is sure to inspire dreams of the future in any romantic couple.
Verona is also quite a small city, which makes it perfect for romantic walks with your beau.
But beyond that, the Ancient Roman ties also make it an inspiring city to visit for history lovers as well.
Head to Teatro Romano for a glimpse into ancient history.
Also, at the back of the theatre is a viewpoint offering stunning views across the city, plus the opportunity to sit on stone benches kissing the person of your dreams!
Romantic Hotels in Verona:
For a cosy and very romantic stay in Verona, check out these hotels:
- Hotel Colomba d’Oro: Regal 4-star hotel near the Verona Arena | Check Prices
- Hotel Accademia: Cosy 4-star hotel near Juliet’s House | Check Prices
- Hotel Bologna: Stylish 3-star hotel near the Verona Arena | Check Prices
Plan Your Verona City Break:
- Only have 24 hours in Verona? Here’s how to make the most of your one day.
- Why not combine your Verona city break with a trip to stunning Lake Garda as well? Check out our mini Lake Garda travel guide now and read this to find out which Lake Garda towns are the prettiest!
5. Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Why is an Amsterdam city break perfect for couples?
This quirky little city in the Netherlands offers a lot to the couple who are intent on learning about each other, whilst partaking in a few naughty activities you’re unlikely to do in many other places.
With plenty of naughty museums around, this offers couples the opportunity to be a little playful with each other and learn a few things about the other person’s fantasies!
When you can also combine this with romantic walks along the 31 miles of canals and a few historical and cultural exhibits, your city break in Amsterdam is bound to be unforgettable.
Nothing beats a romantic walk along the canals with your other half. Why not combine this with a visit to a cute little cafe for Danish pastries followed by a canal cruise?
Romantic Hotels in Amsterdam:
For a romantic and extra special stay in Amsterdam, take a look at these beautiful hotels:
- De L’Europe Amsterdam: 5-star riverfront hotel with an indoor pool near the Flower Market | Check Prices
- Hotel Okura Amsterdam: Luxury 5-star hotel with spa near the Heineken Experience | Check Prices
- Hotel Casa Amsterdam: Charming 3.5-star hotel near Magere Brug | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Amsterdam:
- Fancy spending a whirlwind 2 days in Amsterdam? Check out our city break itinerary for inspiration!
- Wondering what else to see and do during your Amsterdam city break? Check out these recommendations from a local!
- Want to explore Amsterdam like a local? Check out these insider tips!
- Need some Amsterdam puns and quotes for your post-trip Instagrams? Here’s what we’ve got for you!
6. Bristol, England
Why is a Bristol city break perfect for couples?
Bristol is such a trendy English city with lots to see and do (especially during the summer months). Head here in July or August and have fun at the Harbourside or International Balloon Festivals!
And when you can combine this with romantic walks along the river, great views across the city from up high and a look at the famous Clifton Suspension Bridge, then you and your partner are going to have oodles of fun together!
Come to Bristol early in August and head to the International Balloon Fiesta.
It’s super romantic to watch the hot air balloons fly overhead during the day – and it’s even more romantic to watch them light up during the “Night Glow”.
Plus there are lots of funfair rides and attractions to enjoy whilst the fiesta is underway, allowing you to act like big kids for the whole day!
Romantic Hotels in Bristol:
Pick from our favourite hotels in Bristol for an unforgettable stay in our hometown:
- The Bristol Hotel: Beautiful 4-star hotel near Queen Square | Check Prices
- Bristol Harbour Hotel & Spa: Historic 4-star hotel and spa on Corn Street | Check Prices
- Berkeley Suites: Luxurious 5-star suites in Clifton | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Bristol:
- Only have one day in Bristol to spare? Here’s how to make the most of it!
- Will this be your first time in Bristol? Check out these 75 awesome things to do!
- Fancy seeing Bristol from up high? Here’s where you can find the best views in Bristol!
- Want to experience Bristol like a local? Check out our Bristol city guide!
7. Dublin, Republic of Ireland
Why is a Dublin city break perfect for couples?
As one of the major cities in Ireland, Dublin offers a lot of variety to its visitors.
From drives and hikes out in the neighbouring countryside to walks around historic Dublin and even epic half day trips from Dublin, there’s a lot on offer here.
And when you can also combine this with a naughty sip (or a few) of Guinness, then you’re bound to have lots of fun with your travelling partner!
Don’t miss hopping into a rental car to head to Powerscourt Estate and the Wicklow Mountains, which are a 30-minute drive from Dublin.
There’s so much beauty here, and if you can combine this with a romantic picnic as well, then you’ll love it!
In the city, make sure you head to The Winding Stair cafe. It’s right on the waterfront, is full of books and offers you a cute little cafe experience for you and your beau.
Romantic Hotels in Dublin:
For a magical stay in Dublin, we’d suggest looking at these hotels:
- Talbot Hotel Stillorgan: Chic 4-star hotel near University College Dublin | Check Prices
- The Trinity City Hotel: Stylish 4-star hotel on Pearse Street | Check Prices
- Clontarf Castle Hotel: Regal 4-star castle hotel near Dublin Port | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Dublin:
- Fancy a fun and historic weekend in Dublin? Check out this 2 day Dublin itinerary!
- Want to know the history behind Dublin’s famous Temple Bar area? Here’s what you need to know.
- Fancy combining your Dublin city break with other top places to visit in Ireland? Check out these epic half day trips!
8. Venice, Italy
Why is a Venice city break perfect for couples?
Venice is an incredibly beautiful place and offers a lot in getting away from road traffic and the noise cars and lorries can bring.
Surrounded by lots of tiny canals, you and your other half will enjoy just getting lost in this sprawling Italian city.
The sights themselves offer so much beauty from a historical, cultural and architectural point of view.
And when you combine all of these reasons together, it seems so much more logical as to why bridges throughout Venice are popular for holding love padlocks.
Our advice would be to avoid Venice in the height of summer as it can get very busy.
Head to Venice in spring, autumn or winter instead and enjoy some relaxing strolls with your partner.
Throw away your map, chuck out your guidebook and just head out into the many tiny streets and along the canals with your other half.
You’ll love getting lost for a few hours, ready to find beauty and quiet while getting some unique photographs of each other.
Romantic Hotels in Venice:
For a regal stay in Venice, take a look at these luxurious hotels:
- Baglioni Hotel Luna: Luxurious 5-star hotel near St Mark’s Square | Check Prices
- Hotel Ai Reali di Venezia: Regal 4.5-star hotel near the Grand Canal | Check Prices
- Hotel A La Commedia: Romantic 4-star hotel near the Grand Canal | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Venice:
- Only have 24 hours in Venice to spare? These are the top highlights you simply can’t miss!
- Looking for some Venice quotes for your post-trip Instagram captions? Check these out!
9. Reykjavik, Iceland
Why is a Reykjavik city break perfect for couples?
Iceland should always be included in a romantic travel wishlist, and Reykjavik, Iceland’s capital is sure to get any couple excited whilst away travelling.
There’s loads to see here including the Viking ship statue called The Sun Voyager and Hallgrímskirkja Church.
Hire a car for the day and night, and head out to the Golden Circle for some star attractions including Gullfoss waterfall, Strokkur Geysir and the Secret Lagoon spa.
Stay out here for the night as well so that you have an even greater chance of seeing the Northern Lights during your trip.
We’d recommend taking a flask full of hot tea, some snacks and a blanket ready to snuggle up with your other half in the car until the Aurora Borealis (hopefully) makes an appearance!
Romantic Hotels in Iceland:
For an extra special stay in Iceland, take a look at these beautiful places to stay:
- Tower Suites Reykjavik: Luxurious 4.5-star hotel with stunning views near Laugavegur | Check Prices
- 22 Hill Hotel: Charming 3-star hotel near Laugavegur | Check Prices
- Heima Holiday Homes: Sumptuous 3-star cabin near Selfoss in the Golden Circle | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Reykjavik:
- Want to avoid common first-timer mistakes? Here’s what to avoid in Iceland and here are all the important must-knows for your trip to Iceland.
- Do you want to road trip around Iceland? Check out our road trip itinerary for some inspiration!
- Are you looking for Iceland budget tips? Here are some simple food items you can take to Iceland – to save big on food costs!
- For some simple Iceland photography tips: Check out this beginner’s guide to Iceland photography.
- Want even more Iceland travel tips and inspiration? Take a look at these must-read books about Iceland!
10. Brussels, Belgium
Why is a Brussels city break perfect for couples?
Brussels often gets a bad reputation when compared to other cities in Belgium, but we feel these judgements are unfounded.
Brussels is actually one of our favourite city breaks in all of Europe – and there are lots of reasons why.
For a start, it’s home to beautiful architecture in the shape of Grand-Place and pretty little shopping galleries.
A few that are well worth wandering through together are Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert, Passage du Nord and Galerie Bortier.
But Brussels also has a quirky side! It’s home to over fifty comic strip street art murals and not one but THREE(!) peeing statues. How many cities can you say that about?
Visit Brussels for a winter city break and revel in all the fun festivities of its huge ‘Winter Wonders’ Christmas Market.
You’ll even be treated to a stunning sound and light show at Grand-Place every evening!
It’s stunning even when the buildings are simply lit up and you’ll want to stand here for hours just looking at all the silver tones.
Romantic Hotels in Brussels:
For a charming and oh-so-cosy romantic weekend in Brussels, check out these hotels:
- Hotel Agora Bruxelles Grand Place: Romantic 3-star hotel just moments from Grand-Place | Check Prices
- Hotel Hubert Grand Place: Lavish 4-star hotel in Grand-Place | Check Prices
- Motel One Brussels: Charming hotel near Gare Centrale | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Brussels:
- Wondering how long your Brussels city break should be? We think a long weekend is the perfect amount of time for all the top tourist hotspots. Check out our 2 day Brussels itinerary for inspiration.
- Need more convincing a Brussels city break is the one for you? Here are 17 very good reasons to visit Brussels.
- Fancy spending Christmas in Brussels? Here’s everything you need to know.
- Wondering what to in Brussels at night besides seeing Grand-Place? Here’s where to go and what to do.
- Fancy seeing those comic strip murals we talked about? Here’s how to head out on your very own self-guided street art walking tour.
- Would you love to know where all the best chocolate shops in Brussels are? Check out this chocolate walking tour!
- Want to come home with all the best Belgian souvenirs? Here’s what you should buy!
- Fancy combining a trip to Brussels with other Belgian cities? Here’s how to do it!
11. Split, Croatia
Why is a Split city break perfect for couples?
While there’s plenty to see and do in Split, Croatia itself (especially for history lovers), Split also makes the perfect base for exploring more of Croatia during your trip.
You can easily visit both Plitvice Lakes and Krka National Park as a day trip from Split. Plitvice is especially stunning, but if you have time, then both of these National Parks are worthy of a day trip.
Not to mention you can also head out on an island-hopping adventure from Split for the day (or longer!)
And when you’re both tired out from all those amazing day trips, you can wander through Split’s Old Town hand-in-hand and admire all of the sights and history on offer here.
Why not follow this up with a trip to the beach? Split has a couple of beaches you can choose from. We particularly loved the tranquil vibe of Kasjuni Beach.
If you take a walk along the Riva Promenade near the Old Town, you’ll be able to see the city lit up at night with its lights reflected in the water. It looks magical!
Another romantic highlight is the day trips we’ve mentioned – especially a boat tour (like this one!) to some of Croatia’s most beautiful islands.
While there, you can enjoy quiet beaches, fun snorkelling adventures and more beautiful Croatian towns.
Romantic Hotels in Split:
Check out these luxurious hotels for a romantic Split city break:
- Horizon Luxury Suites: Stunning 3.5-star guest house within walking distance of the Port of Split | Check Prices
- Hotel Peristil: Charming 3-star hotel close to Diocletian’s Palace | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Split:
- Not sure what to see and do during your city break to Split? Check out our 3 day itinerary for some ideas.
- Fancy some of those epic day trips we talked about? Here’s what you need to know about visiting Krka National Park. You might also enjoy our Plitvice Lakes vs Krka comparison guide.
- Thinking of visiting Dubrovnik in Croatia instead? We also have a city break itinerary for Dubrovnik!
12. Funchal, Madeira
Why is a Funchal city break perfect for couples?
The whole of Madeira is a stunning natural beauty. Whilst its capital, Funchal is not only beautiful but trendy too!
Take your time to wander through the streets, eat some delicious Portuguese cuisine and marvel at the beauties found within Funchal’s Botanical Garden.
From Funchal Harbour, it’s super easy to get a boat tour on most days. We recommend a catamaran tour, which allows you to admire whales and dolphins in their natural habitat.
The dolphins sometimes even like to scratch their bellies up against the sides of the catamaran as you glide past.
Not only does this make for a unique date idea, but you’ll both come back with huge smiles on your faces too!
Romantic Hotels in Funchal:
For the ultimate couples city break in Funchal, check out these beautiful resorts:
- Hotel Quintinha São João & Spa: Luxurious 5-star hotel near the Madeira Casino | Check Prices
- Pestana Village Garden Hotel: 4-star upmarket aparthotel near the Lido | Check Prices
- Golden Residence Hotel: 4-star hotel with spa near the Lido | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To Funchal:
- Want more tips on what to see and do in Funchal? Check out this list of the top things to do in Funchal, or read our 4 day Madeira itinerary.
- Fancy heading out on some day trips around Madeira? Check out this list for inspiration.
- Wondering when is the best time to visit Madeira? This complete guide reveals all!
13. London, England
Why is a London city break perfect for couples?
As can be expected from the UK’s fashionable capital, there is so much to see and do in London – no matter what your interests are.
From the very essence of history at the Tower London and along the olde-worlde Georgian streets to fun things to do like sipping retro cocktails before jumping into a giant ball pit at Ballie Ballerson Shoreditch.
London is also one of the best places to find Harry Potter filming locations and Harry Potter things to do in the country.
Our advice for couples? Take to London on foot and find all the unexplored places away from the main tourist hubs and just have fun getting lost in this iconic city together.
Skip the busy tourist hubs and head out on a self-guided walking tour of Notting Hill and Kensington. Here, you’ll find some of the prettiest streets in London in the shape of ‘mews’.
These little car-free streets usually have archways leading you inside and are home to some of the most sought-after houses in all of London. This wasn’t always the case though as they actually used to be stables!
Some of our favourites are St Lukes Mews, Holland Park Mews and Kynance Mews. Head there during ‘Wisteria Hysteria’ season in May to see the mews streets at their best.
While you’re in this area, don’t miss a romantic walk through Holland Park. Its zen-like Kyoto Garden is beautiful and still fairly unknown among first time visitors to London (at least for now!)
Romantic Hotels in London:
For a romantic and rather lavish couples city break in London, check out these stunning hotels:
- Leonardo Royal London St Paul’s: Lavish 5-star hotel with indoor pool near St Paul’s Cathedral | Check Prices
- South Place Hotel: Instagrammable 5-star hotel near Liverpool Street | Check Prices
- The Chelsea Harbour Hotel: 5-star waterfront hotel near the Stamford Bridge Stadium | Check Prices
Plan Your City Break To London:
- Fancy a Harry Potter inspired London city break? Here are all the cool and super nerdy things you can do.
- Or would you prefer a Love Actually inspired London city break? Here’s how to do it.
- How about a day in London exploring all the beautiful mews streets? These are some of the prettiest ones!
- Want to explore London like a local? Check out these insider tips!
- Are you looking for some London quotes for your future Instagram captions? Check these out!
- Want expert London travel tips? Here are 12 books about London we recommend reading.
Over to you now… which cities are at the top of your travel wishlist? And what are some other couples city breaks you would recommend? Let us know in the comments below!
Did you like this list of the best city breaks for couples in Europe? Pin it now, read it again later!