You may be reading this blog because you’re looking for awesome quotes about London for your Instagram captions. Or you may be here because you simply love a good quote and you love London; et voila!
Either way, we hope these 25 quotes about London not only help you with what you need but also inspire you to visit. London is, after all, just as captivating as cities like Paris, New York and Rome… and just as chic if you know where to look.
“I travel continuously, and I see many cities, but there is nowhere like London.”
– Norman Foster, one of Britain’s most prolific architects of his generation.
“My Dad says that being a Londoner has nothing to do with where you’re born. He says that there are people who get off a jumbo jet at Heathrow, go through immigration waving any kind of passport, hop on the tube and by the time the train’s pulled into Piccadilly Circus, they’ve become a Londoner.”
– Ben Aaronovitch, an English author and screenwriter responsible for the Rivers of London novel series as well as two Doctor Who serials.
“A bad day in London is still better than a good day anywhere else.”
“In London, love and scandal are considered the best sweeteners of tea.”
– John Osborne, an English playwright, screenwriter and actor, most known for his critical stance towards social and political norms. He also knows that Brits love a good cuppa.
“If you’re curious, London’s an amazing place.”
– David Bailey, an infamous English fashion and portrait photographer.
“The streets of London have their map, but our passions are uncharted. What are you going to meet if you turn this corner?”
– Virginia Woolf, an English writer and considered one of the most important modernist 20th Century authors.
“It is not the walls that make the city, but the people who live within them. The walls of London may be battered, but the spirit of the Londoner stands resolute and undismayed.”
– George VI, the last King of England (so far) and father to Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret.
“London is a modern Babylon.”
– Benjamin Disraeli, the 1st Earl of Beaconsfield and a former British statesman of the Conservative Party and two-times UK Prime Minister.
“The vibe of London as a city is captivating. It’s both fast-paced and extremely rushed but still has the calmness that would attract any big-city person.”
– Ali Fazal, an Indian actor and model most known for his appearances in multiple Bollywood movies.
“I think London’s sexy because it’s so full of eccentrics.”
– Rachel Weisz, an English actress most known for her roles in blockbusters like The Mummy and Chain Reaction.
“London is a bad habit one hates to lose.”
“One of the the things I most liked about the city – apart from all its obvious attractions, the theatre, the galleries, the exhilarating walks by the river – was that so few people ever asked you personal questions.”
– Julia Gregson, a British writer of short stories and novels with many notable literary awards under her belt.
“London opens to you like a novel itself… It is divided into chapters, the chapters into scenes, the scenes into sentences; it opens to you like a series of rooms, doors and passages. Mayfair to Piccadilly to Soho to the Strand.”
– Anna Quindlen, an American author, journalist, and opinion columnist with multiple works published in the New York Post and the New York Times.
“In London, everyone is different, and that means anyone can fit in.”
– Paddington Bear, a fictional character in children’s literature written by Michael Bond and illustrated by Peggy Fortnum. He might be a fictitious bear, but his words are wise…
“If London is a watercolour, New York is an oil painting.”
– Peter Shaffer, an English playwright and screenwriter whose many plays have been turned into films.
“When exploring London, you will come across lots of excitement by chance, so try to take everything in rather than just rushing around to all of the major tourist haunts.”
– Richard Branson, an English business magnate, investor, author and philanthropist who founded the Virgin Group. Basically this all-round business mogul and rockstar needs no introduction!
“I went to London because, for me, it was the home of literature. I went there because of Dickens and Shakespeare.”
– Ben Okri, a Nigerian poet and novelist who is considered to be one of the foremost African authors in the post-modern and post-colonial periods.
“By seeing London, I have seen as much of life as the world can show.”
– Samuel Johnson, often referred to as Dr. Johnson, was an English writer who made lasting contributions to English literature as a poet, essayist, moralist, literary critic, biographer, editor and lexicographer.
“I’m leaving because the weather is too good. I hate London when it’s not raining.”
– Groucho Marx, an American comedian, writer, stage, film, radio, and television star.
“The interesting thing about London is that there are always stylish surprises around every corner.”
– Natalie Massenet, a fashion entrepreneur and former journalist who founded the designer fashion site Net-a-Porter.
“Aesthetically, London is just beautiful; it’s a gorgeous city. The architecture, monuments, the parks, the small streets – it’s an incredible place to be.”
– Sara Bareilles, an American singer-songwriter, actress and author.
“I’ve been walking about London for the last 30 years, and I find something fresh in it everyday.”
– Walter Besant, a novelist and historian who passed away in 1901.
“The parks be the lungs of London.”
– Charles Dickens, an English writer and social critic. He created some of the world’s best-known characters and is regarded by many as the greatest novelist of the Victorian era, while others believe he was a white supremacist.
“London has long been regarded as a vibrant, busy, historical metropolitan city rich in history and beautiful iconic buildings. However, like most cities of this scale, it also has a characteristic local side: beautiful village-like enclaves that are extremely photogenic and full of character. Partner all that with a unique style and you’re left with something pretty special.”
– Siobhan Ferguson, author of Pretty City London: Discovering London’s Beautiful Places, curator of hugely popular Instagram accounts: @prettycitylondon and @theprettycities, and all-round Instagram superstar.
And one more… totally bizarre (but true) London quote:
“In some of the great cities of Europe – Paris, Vienna, Prague, and Brussels – tourists bored with life above ground can descend below. All these cities have sewer museums and tours, and all expose their underbelly willingly to the curious. But not London, arguably the home of the most splendid sewer network in Europe.”
– Rose George, a British journalist and author who has had her work published in the Independent on Sunday, Arena, the Financial Times, Daily Telegraph, Details and Condé Nast Traveler.
So tell us, have these quotes about London inspired you to visit? Personally, we’re definitely intent on visiting again… What will this be? Our twentieth trip?!
Looking for more inspiring quotes? Check out some of our other blogs:
- 55+ Couples Travel Quotes & Fun Travel Puns
- 41 Quotes About England & The British Culture
- 60+ Quotes About Hawaii & Proverbs From The Rainbow State
- 60+ NYC Instagram Captions & Quotes About NYC To Inspire You
- 43 Quotes About Amsterdam & Clever Puns For Your Instagram
- 12 Quotes About Venice You’ll Just Adore!
- 10+ Motivational Quotes for #GIRLBOSSES & #MANBOSSES
Feel inspired? Share the wanderlust inspo around!